Sometimes a fixed date is not what the universe wants, and certainly in our case, leaving on our journey, it is unlikely we are going to know what actual day we leave, possibly until we have left! What I can say is that we need to be in Africa by Christmas so we can avoid the rains in northern Kenya.
Reasons for the leaving date has become fluid is multiple, and trying to force any of them to comply to a fixed dated feels wrong as they all have their own time to develop.
The first reason to present itself was my riding skills. Granted, I’ve not see much of the bike over the summer with it being in an out of the workshop all summer and one mechanic holding it for a month for now reason too boot. Now finally it is stablised! yay!
This has seen a number of forays into the world of off road, both with and without experienced back up, and I’m pleased to announce that not only have I clearly returned alive, but as a result my confidence and skill has been improving. My most recent story I posted on our Facebook page – Africa With Autism. For me what is important (because the expectation to ride like I have 20 yrs experience is not my agenda) is that I am able to work through situations on the road that might occur. I feel now that I will be able to do that. The fear and panic has now given way to a proactive approach to problems. I’m still learning though, as you can see from the post!
Another aspect to the date is Sofia’s school application process for September 2016. Sofia in now in her transition year, which is effectively her final year of Junior school. As she has special educational needs, there is a process by which senior schools are applied for. One of the reasons this trip is possible is that it fits nicely within the process within the process. We do however, need to ensure that all the paperwork has been done before we leave. This is something we can’t put a date on as yet especially as the school we are choosing needs to finish its assessment process.
Finally, and perhaps the biggest show stopper of them all is the finances! We are otherwise ready to go. We have nearly all the kit, The bike is almost ready, and will make its final trip for tyres and modifications etc next week. Financially though, we need a lot of money to get this project on the road. Yes, believe it or not, it is the paper work that costs the most, and there is a lot of paper work that needs to be completed. It is the single biggest reason why many who would love to travel overland, don’t. So now the project becomes a challenge to win hearts and minds for autism, and help create an amazing story with which to raise funds for autism for years to come.
Please donate to our Charity Foundation – Africa With Autism